19th century redevelopment at the Ropewalk, Chapel Street, Nuneaton.
Features reflecting the 19th century housing developments along Dugdale Street and Chapel Street, as depicted on the 1887 OS map, were recorded at The Ropewalk, Chapel Street, Nuneaton.
1 Archaeological evaluation revealed the reoccupation of the site (following the site’s abandonment to cultivation in the late medieval period), in the course of the expansion of the town in the 19th century. The features reflected the housing developments to the west and south along Dugdale Street and Chapel Street depicted on the 1887 OS map. The area of the site north east of the rope walk was still gardens at this time, but by 1903 much of it had been infilled with commercial premises and the corporation yard.