Botley Mill, Tanworth in Arden.
The site of a Medieval watermill and its associated building, leat, mill pond and fishpond. The mill pond, leat and fishpond are still visible as earthworks. It is situated 400m north of Botley Hill.
1 This may have been one of the two mills in Tanworth mentioned in 1315. From the 17th century it belonged to the Umberslade Hall estate. Information on ownership exists for the 18th and 19th centuries. The mill ceased to work in the 1870s and was demolished early this century. The mill was a small building which stood on the lane leading to Botley Mill Farm. This lane ran along the top of the mill pool dam. The pool had been drained by the 1880s, and no trace of this, or the mill building now remain.
3 The high retaining banks of 2 millponds are clearly visible. The road to Botley Mill Farm runs along the top of the S dam, on the other side of which stood the mill beside a leat leading from the millponds. Nothing now remains of the mill site, but the retaining banks of the leat are visible running down the length of the field known as Mill Ham Field before joining the River Alne. Water from the mill pond flowed through the dam by means of pipes and a sluice gate, the remains of which can still be seen. In the N of the 2 ponds is an island of unknown purpose.
5 2 ponds are visible, the lower one directly feeding the mill, the upper one containing an island and probably intended for fish.