Clifford Mill, Clifford Chambers
Clifford Mill, 600m north of the church, for which there is documentary evidence from the late Medieval period. It became a forge in the Post Medieval period, and then reverted to a corn mill. The present building dates from 1853 and a chimney of auxiliary steam power survives.
2 There was a corn mill here by 1550. In about 1670 it was demolished and an iron forge built by Francis Watts. After about 1730 the mill seems to have reverted to corn grinding. Information on ownership exists for the 19th century. The mill ceased working in c1926. The existing buildings date from 1853 when the mill was totally rebuilt. It is a three storey brick building with a centrally-placed lucam. A tall chimney stands nearby, being all that remains of a steam engine installed as auxiliary power. All the milling machinery, including the waterwheel and a turbine, was removed in 1946.
4 Leaflet with details of history.