Neolithic or Bronze Age Round Barrow
The site of a round barrow, probably of Bronze Age date. It is visible as an earthwork and is situated 750m south east of The Hollows.
1 First recorded by Stukeley. By 1920 it was 0.23m high, but in 1982 it had not been lowered very much. In 1982 two quadrants were excavated indicating that very little of the barrow structure survived, though the remains of the buried soil with small pits and scoops and a Mesolithic flint scatter (PRN 6041) were found. In 1984 the excavation was completed. An ill-defined ditch-like scoop defined the E edge of the barrow and there was a central cremation pit indicating an overall diameter of 12.5m. The material for the barrow was probably obtained from the E ditch and scraped together from the surrounding area. The cremation pit appeared to have been dug into a larger, shallower, earlier pit which contained traces of burnt stone. The later pit also contained cremated bone. Other cremation deposits lay to the S side of the barrow. One feature was a well-defined pit with a large quantity of bone from an adult burial. A second pit contained an upturned collared urn with the remains of an infant. Charcoal from this feature had a radiocarbon date of 1370 +/- 90 bc. A further cremation associated with a post hole was dated to 1530 +/- 50 bc.
3 Letter and details of cremation urn.
4 Photograph of the urn.