Weston by Cherington Deserted Medieval Settlement
The site of the Medieval deserted settlement of Weston by Cherington. It is located 700m south west of Cherington. It is known from documentary evidence and aerial photography.
1 The 1517 Inquiry records the depopulation of land where 38 people had lived. By Dugdale’s time there was nothing here apart from 80 acres of the manor house. In 1545 the Crown licensed the imparking of 300 acres (PRN 2385). Air photographs show a probable location for the village to the NE of the house.
2 Medium archaeology (B), excellent documentary evidence for the former existence of the village, with its period of desertion known (1*).
3 Aerial photographs show desertion-like disturbance but perambulation showed no features of a surveyable nature.
4 Aerial photographs.
5 Faint traces of possible linear features and hollow ways show on air photos.
6 Platforms, holoways and liner features were mapped as part of the English Heritage National Mapping Project