Chelmscote Deserted Medieval Village
The Medieval deserted settlement of Chelmscote. Hollow ways, house platforms and enclosures are visible as earthworks. The site is located 1km north west of Compton Wynyates.
1 A hamlet in Brailes parish. Rous lists it, and there appear to have been a number of successive partial enclosures. These are recorded in 1430, 1509, 1549 and 1598. There was also a chapel (PRN 5261).
2 Medium archaeology (B), period of desertion known but documentary evidence inferior in quantity (1).
4 The remains of the village centred at the above grid reference are known locally as ‘Town Ground’.
5 Traces of house platforms survive. A T-junction of hollow ways which may or may not contain a small triangular green exists.
6 Plan by C J Bond.
7 DMV occupies parts of at least three fields known as House Ground, Little Town Piece and Middle Town Piece.
8 Find of Edward IV groat in June 1996. Method of recovery unrecorded. Grid reference given of SP317426.