Site of Medieval Chapel at Luddington
There is documentary evidence for a chapel at Luddington from the Medieval to the Post Medieval period. Evidence of burials has been found at the site, at Old Church Close.
1 A chapel is recorded at Luddington in 1425 and the names of four vicars are known from the 15th and 16th centuries. The last recorded incumbent dates to 1648. The chapel was probably demolished in later 18th century. The last recorded service was in 1736-63. Measurements of the chapel were taken by Wheler. It was a plain rectangular structure, measuring 14m by 3.7m, with a W bell-turret. The frequent discovery of ‘bones, nails and pieces of old coffins’ on the site in the early part of the last century seems to show that it had at some time possessed the right of burial.
2 The site is in the garden of a cottage.