An Exhibition by Knowle Local History Society
The history of Knowle’s first parsonage, a 16th century timber-framed building of which only a part remains as No. 1644 High Street. Behind a mid-20th century frontage much of the original timbering is still intact. The exhibition includes:
The building; Knowle’s clergy homes from the days of the College (1413-1547) to the present day; the old parsonage after the dissolution of the College 1547-1851; the sale of the parsonage to private purchasers in 1851; its decline into dilapidated cottages; restoration in 1948; the building of Knowle Goldsmiths on the south side of the garden in the 1950s; development on the north garden in the 1960s.
Knowle Local History Society would like to thank Mrs. Rosemary Curtis and the Curtis family, Knowle Goldsmiths and the Revd. Dr. Anthony Upton for their help in the preparation of this exhibition. Photographs from Knowle Local History Society Image Library.