Possible Site of Priory Church, Studley
The possible site of the priory church dating to the Medieval period. It is located 750m north west of St Mary's church, Studley.
1 The remains of Studley Priory have been built up and form the gable of a modern farmhouse called ‘The Priory’.
2 The farmhouse, now much modernised, embodies a few fragmentary portions of a conventual building. A gabled W wall of stone rubble contains the remains of a large 14th century window which was mostly destroyed by a projecting stone chimney stack dated 1539. The SE angle has some ancient stone quoins and the E gable-head and adjacent wall have some Tudor timber-framing. A few Medieval sculpture fragments are built onto the walls. The discovery of a stone coffin suggests that the original chapel stood to the NE of the existing building.
3 A coffin, found while digging foundations for a building behind the farmhouse. Although found with other coffins it is the lid of the coffin of a prior. It even seems possible that the farmhouse stands on the site of the nave of the priory church; this slab would then have been in the N transept.
5 Although the farmhouse is largely brick-clad a great deal more of the stonework of the original building is exposed within the roof and it is possible that the building may have been in a ruinous condition when converted. The thickness of parts of the exterior wall also suggests that much of the stonework survives within the present walls.
6 Plan of the site.