Church of St Peter, Wormleighton
The Church of St Peter was built in the Medieval period, although some rebuilding work was carried out in the Post Medieval period, but on the whole it is largely unaltered. It is situated north of Wormleighton.
1 Chancel, nave, N and S aisles, S porch and W tower. There was an early 12th century church on the site, as indicated by the surviving angles of the original nave. At the end of the 12th century the two narrow aisles with their three-bay arcades were added; the aisles were altered in the 14th century, including the windows, but not the original S doorway which still exists. W tower also of end 12th century or slightly later. Early 13th century chancel with 14th century side windows and 15th century E window. E and S walls rebuilt in the 18th century. Porch of 14th century or early 15th century. 15th century clearstorey. Low-pitched 16th century or 17th century nave roof; the chancel and S aisle roofs are modern. An interesting survival is the rood screen and part of the rood loft of the 15th century. Monument to John Spencer, d 1610. There was a priest here in 1086.
2 Plan of the church.
4 Mostly 13th century.
5 A largely unaltered Medieval church.
7 Photographed in 1979.