Luddington Lower (New) Lock 500m SW of Luddington
The site of a river lock, a rectangular chamber with wooden gates at each end, used to lower and raise the water level. It dates from the Imperial period, and was situated on the River Avon, 400m north east of All Saint's Church, Weston on Avon.
1 The above location is the apparent approximate position as calculated from Hadfield’s directions. This lock would have been one of the two new locks built during the improvements of 1827 (the other was at Welford – WA 4344). Little remains, but the drystone walling of the rectangular lock chamber, about 60 foot by 12 foot can be seen. The left hand wall of the chamber is built into the river bank. The lift was 2ft, the lock having been built to bypass shallows.