Coventry Canal, Griff Arm Junction to S of Bermuda
A junction on the Coventry Canal, a waterway used for transporting goods. It dates from the Imperial period, and is in good condition if not navigable. It is situated 400m northwest of Burlingtom Road.
1 Although built by Newdigate, the Griff Hollows Canal was separate from the Arbury system. Newdigate started work in 1785 upon a private canal from the Hollows on the Coventry line, which was to run 1320 yards westwards to a wharf to which coal was brought from the collieries by a tramroad. It was opened in 1787 and in constant use for 174 years until 1961.
2 Junction described in survey as no 2.
3 The canal is now traversed by major roads and an industrial estate. It appears unnavigable, but in good condition and in use as a feeder, of some kind.