Excavation of RB Features at Manduessedum
The site of a building and other features dating to the Roman period. The site was located 400m south east of Witherley Bridge, Mancetter.
1 1954-5: Construction of a sewage trench revealed traces of walling at fairly high levels connected apparently with 4th century pottery but these had been thoroughly wrecked by ridge and furrow ploughing. Flues and building tiles suggested some masonry buildings of a late date. In addition in a gas main trench a solid concrete floor (undated) was found. Other structures were in timber and it was possible to record a continuous section in the centre of the settlement. A deep drainage ditch contained silt deposits dated to AD60-70. On the NW of this were further pits and ditches of about the same date. Cut into one of these were post holes and a burnt layer of 2nd century date. Other floors and features dated to 1st century and 2nd century. No plan could be obtained, but it appears that occupation was first in timber and later in stone and dates from the mid 1st century to latter 2nd century. A stone-lined well was found at the NE of the walled area.