Minions' Wharf, Atherstone, N Warwickshire
The site of Minions Wharf, a canal wharf and basin where vessels would have loaded and unloaded goods. It was constructed during the Imperial period and was situated 50m west of Coleshill Road, Atherstone.
1 The original coal wharf for Atherstone was constructed around 1771. The basin, E stable block and large warehouse date from this time. This is the best surviving example in the county and is not easy to match elsewhere in the Midlands. Although the buildings are dilapidated and the basin filled in, the full working arrangement is potentially recoverable.
2 The basin has been filled in and is derelict land. The surrounding buildings are empty and falling into ruins. The site is presently occupied by a car repair firm.
3 Photographs taken in 1977.
4 Sketch map.
5 Most of the wharf has now been built over. The remaining lock and basin are listed.