Church of All Saints, Chilvers Coton
The Church of All Saints which was originally built during the Medieval period. It was largely destroyed during the Second World War and was subsequently rebuilt. It is situated on Avenue Road, Chilvers Coton.
1 Chancel, nave, N and S aisles, NE organ chamber, NW vestry and W tower. The chancel, and probably also the nave, date from the second half of the 13th century. N aisle added in 1837. S aisle was an earlier addition and has 13th century masonry at the E end, suggesting a transept later lengthened to form an aisle. This was almost entirely rebuilt and a new arcade inserted in 1889-91; the organ chamber and vestry are of the same date. Since this account was written the church, with the exception of the tower, has been completely destroyed by enemy action. The church is referred to in the 13th century. Associations with George Eliot.
2 Plan of the church.
3 Drawing c. 1820.
4 Mostly of 1946-51, by H N Jepson, built by German prisoners of war, and decorated by them, naively, including the Monument in the churchyard. The W tower is Perp, the chancel and N chapel arch probably of c1890.
5 Listed Building Description.