Castle Mill, Warwick
Castle Mill, the site of several watermills dating from the Medieval to the Imperial period. The present building dates from the 18th century. The main waterwheel survives at the southern end of Mill Street, Warwick, but no machinery is left.
1 The earliest reference to mills attached to the castle is in 1150. These stood about 100m downstream from the present site and were totally destroyed by floods in the early 14th century. Later in the century a mill was built on the present site immediately below the castle. It was leased to many tenants, all having trouble maintaining the mill because of the constant threat of floods. In 1767 the mill took on its present appearance, the walls being raised and castellated. Information on ownership exists for the 16th, 17th and 19th centuries. In 1894 an electricity generating plant was installed in the empty mill house to supply the castle. This was dismantled in 1954. The low stone building still stands but contains no machinery. The main waterwheel remains and is sited externally on the river end of the building.