Site of Roman Settlement to SE of Witherley Bridge
The site of a settlement associated with the Roman fort at Mancetter. The site was 150m south east of Witherley Bridge.
1 1963: A rescue excavation for the MPBW was carried out on a narrow strip on the S side of Watling Street, immediately W of the 4th century fort at Manduessedum. The outer ditch of the fort was sectioned to the bottom (PRN 3859). It was levelled over with an industrial deposit about the middle of the 4th century. Ribbon building existed along the whole of this strip between the River Anker and the fort, mostly timber structures ranging in date from c. 60-400AD.
2 In the course of all this activity of sewer and gas-main further material came to light outside the fort at Witherley. To the W pottery indicated ribbon building for at least half a mile. The pottery in the field immediately to the W included early forms, some perhaps as early as 60AD.
3 Oswald excavation 1954-1956 noted. Ribbon development; timber buildings, road etc. along S-side of Watling Street.