Site of Church of St Mary Magdalen, Pillerton Priors.
The Church of St Mary Magdalen which was built during the Medieval period. The church was burned down during the Post Medieval period. It was located 300m south of the present church in Pillerton Hersey.
1 A chapel is recorded in 1535.
2 Hugh de Hercy’s grant to the priory of St Neots in the late 12th century included the chapel of the Blessed Mary of Over Pillerton. No other reference occurs until 1513, when John Walton was curate there. The chapel seems to have survived until 1672, when it was burnt down, all that was saved being pieces of three bells, parts of the clock, a silver chalice and cover, the Bible and the Book of Common Prayer.
3 The published site falls centrally within a fully occupied graveyard. There are no visible remains of the church.