Site of Atherstone Friary

Description of this historic site

The site of Atherstone Friary, an Augustinian Friary that was built during the Medieval period. It was situated 150m south of Friary Road, Atherstone.

Notes about this historic site

1 House of Augustin Friars founded by Ralph Lord Basset of Drayton in 1375. Church and buildings took some time to complete; a legacy was given in 1383 towards their completion. This appears to have remained a very poor Friary and was dissolved in 1538.
2 The site was granted in 1543 to Henry Cartwright, with reservation of the church for the use of parishioners. Possibility of a 12th century chapel of the alien Abbey of Bec on this site. The priory was refounded in 1378.
3 The friary was to maintain 12 friars, but this number may not have been reached.
4 Atherstone Hall was later built on the site (PRN 270). There are no remains of the Hall, and a housing estate occupies the site.

More from Atherstone