Site of Almshouses, Church Street, Rugby
The site of almshouses, houses built for poor people to live in, dating to the Post Medieval and Imperial periods. Several of the almshouses were converted from a building that was the original Rugby School. The almshouses were located in Church Street, Rugby.
1 Lawrence Sheriffe in 1567 made provision for 4 distinct lodgings for 4 poor men. On his death in the same year, the trustees… appointed four almsmen and placed them in the mansion house, the separate lodgings consisting of pairs of rooms partioned off, with their own front door and chimneys.
2 It is assumed the four eastern-most of the almshouses were erected after the founder’s death in 1567. Four more, numbers 5-8 were erected in 1783 on the site of his house, and in 1828 numbers 1-4 were erected and the others modified to correspond with them. The almshouses were listed (Grade II 1/5) and described as severely restored in the 19th century. It should also be noted that the mansion house from which the almshouse were converted was the original site of Rubgy School.
3 The buildings were demolished in 1958 and the site redeveloped.