Almshouses, 1-5 Mancetter Road
Several almshouses that were built during the Imperial period to provide housing for the poor. They are located on Mancetter Road, Mancetter.
1 Dating to 1822 a single story range in whitened brick with cambered and latticed 3-light casements and ledged doors. Unusual cast iron verandah, carried on slim gothic shafts forming 12 pointed arches, the spandrels filled with open trefoiled work and the whole embattled. Has some pictoral quality, and is a foil to the 18th century almshouses. See WA 382. Has an old tiled roof.
2 Photographed in 1977.
3 Whitewashed brick. 20th century plain-tile roof; mid 20th century brick ridge and right end stacks. Each is a one-unit plan. One storey; each is a one-window range. Ribbed doors. Opening to passage between nos.2 and 3. Tall narrow 3-light painted iron latticed casements. All openings have shallow segmental arches. Cast iron open verandah has 12-bay arcade of 4-centred arches with slender shafts, spandrels of trefoiled circle tracery and embattled parapet. Interiors not inspected.