Site of Old Almshouses/Hospital
The site of Post Medieval almshouses, houses built for poor people to live in. The almshouses have also been referred to as a hospital. They were situated to the south of All Saints Church, Bedworth.
1 The car park for the present Health Centre is on the site of the Bedworth Central School (formerly the Top School). This school was built over the old almshouses which are known to have been in use by 1715 when The Rev. Nicholas Chamberlaine bequeathed money for them to be ‘improved’. The old almshouses are also recorded as a ‘Hospital’. Nothing is known of the extent or form of the building other than the approximate spatial extent as surveyed in 1839. The ‘new’ almshouses were completed in 1840 in a new location to the north of the old site (see WA 7420).