Arlescote House grounds
Arlescote House grounds, the remains of elaborate and extensive formal gardens created in the Post Medieval period. The gardens included gazebos, two artifical mounds, a fishpond and a skittle alley.Recommended for inclusion on Local List by Lovie.
1 Arlescote House itself is Grade II* Listed and of 17th century date. The walled forecourt with two late 17th/early 18th century ogee-roofed corner pavilions represents the remains of reputedly elaborate and extensive formal gardens. The garden area now is small and includes an orchard and ponds. Recommended for inclusion on Local List.
2 There are two pairs of ogee-roofed gazebos, one at the south corners of the walled forecourt, one (Grade II Listed) to the north of the house. This is an unusually complete survival of a garden arrangement which was common in the county at this date. The 18th century diarist John Loveday of Caversham (who inherited the house in 1784) describes the former gardens as containing, amongst other features, two artificial mounds, formal walkways bordered with roses and hedges, a fishpond and a skittle alley. The house was let out for most of the 19th century so that the remains of a number of 17th century garden features survived to appear on the 1886 OS map (p88).
3 OS 1:10560 1886 Sht Warks 52NW shows house and grounds.
4 Garden laid out in late 17th century. Layout can be seen on 1842 tithe map.
Arlescote Manor House is linked at the west end to a large two storey building known as the ‘brewhouse’. North-west of this, linked by a covered walkway, is a block containing garages, stables, a store and aprivy. The grounds also consist of two ponds and a paddock.