Alveston House grounds, Alveston
The grounds of Alveston House, pleasure gardens created in the Imperial period, and surrounding the Post Medieval House. The gardens are marked on maps of 1822 and later, and cover an area to the north of Alveston. Recommended for inclusion on Local List by Lovie.
1 The house itself is Grade II* Listed and was built in 1689. The surrounding pleasure grounds are of early 19th century type and include walks, shrubberies, mixed planting and a pond, together with an avenue of limes; there is a river frontage with a boathouse, and was once a riverside grotto (now lost). Recommended for inclusion on Local List.
2 Alveston House is a good example of a small Restoration house. The grounds were remodelled in the late 18th century to include shrubberies, walks and a boathouse and grotto (the latter had disappeared by the 1960s).
3 The OS 1:10560 1886 Sht Warks 44NE clearly shows the house and grounds, with the lime avenue beyond them.
4 Shown on Greenwood 1822, and with much reduced area on OS 1st edition.
5 Map showing maximum extent.
6 Greenwood’s map.