Site of Emscote Mill
The site of a watermill for which there is documentary evidence from the Medieval period. The mill buildings and some of the watercourses are marked on the Ordnance Survey map of 1886. The site is to the east of Mill House Terrace, is now under housing.
1 This was probably the mill to which Thomas Hungerford ‘had leave to divert the stream’ in 1430. By 1621 there were two mills attached to the manor. Information exists on ownership for the 19th century. Some of the watercourses, and the mill buildings, are marked on the 1886 OS 1:10560 map, though milling had probably ceased by this time. The mill building survived as part of a dwelling until the 1960s when the site was cleared to make way for a housing estate.
2 Noted in VCH.