Site of Watermill at Preston Bagot

Description of this historic site

A mill was recorded in the Domesday survey and two mills in later Medieval documents. This watermill fell into disuse in the early 17th century. The mill pond and vestiges of a leat still survive. Its location was 200m north of Warwick Road Bridge, Preston Bagot.

Notes about this historic site

1 There was a mill at Preston Bagot in 1086. Two mills are recorded in 1200 and 1291 and the mills are recorded at the beginning of the 17th century. Some of the buildings of one of these mills still survive (PRN 1605). At that site the leat which fed the wheel can be traced back upstream to the site of another mill. A few traces of this mill were visible until recent years. No doubt this was the second mill which seems to have become disused early in the 17th century.
2 The mill pond is still visible at SP1765. A leat constructed of a blue type of brick was seen upstream of the mill pool for about 30m. The leat was in a considerable state of disrepair and much of it had fallen into the river. There was no trace of the mill building.

More from Preston Bagot
More from Mills
More from Mines