The site of RAF Southam, an airfield which was opened in 1940, during the Second World War as part of the defence of Britain. There were 37 buildings associated with the airfield which closed to flying in 1944. It was situated to the south east of Southam.
1 A grass relief landing ground for RAF Church Lawford opened in 1940. The minimal facilities included 4 blister hangers (one each at the E and W perimeters) and the other two joined together in the maintenance area to the South. Closed to flying March 1944. A total of 37 Airfield buildings are listed in WCC Planning Dept Box S145 (these papers not normally available for public inspection). All buildings much dilapidated in 1989.
2 Described as another small grassed relief landing ground (RLG). It had been laid out with two landing runs of 800 and 600 yards long. In 1941 the RLG was provided with a number of Laing and Nissen huts for the seventy or so airmen stationed there. It was also supplied with 6 Blister Hangars.