Post Medieval Inscription on Blacklow Hill
The site of a Post Medieval inscribed stone on Blacklow Hill. The stone has, among other letters, the inscription, "1311 P GAVESTON EARL OF CORNWALL BEHEADED HERE" The stone is on the site of Gaveston's Cross.
1 An inscription cut on a rock on the S side of Blacklow Hill, near the top has, among other letters: ‘1311 P GAVESTON EARL OF CORNWALL BEHEADED HERE.’
2 This inscription was located on the rock face of a former quarry-hollow 5m S of the SW corner of the cross (PRN 2538). It is in deeply-cut letters, now partly illegible.