'Chinese Temple' at Ansley Hall
A folly or 'Chinese Temple' which was built during the Imperial period. It was situated in the gardens of Ansley Hall, 500m north east of Bull Barn Farm.
1 There are no remains of the Chinese pagoda erected by Sir William Chambers.
2 In 1853, according to Burke’s ‘Seats’, there was a Chinese Temple by Chambers in the grounds of Ansley Hall.
3 In the grounds of a neighbouring modern house are several fragments of carved stone including a funerary monument (see PRN 163). In 1814 this lay in a cell below a Chinese temple building which was built in 1767 by Sir William Chambers.
4 ‘Temple’ ruin, brick foundations, of no interest.