Medieval Guild Hall, Stratford upon Avon
A Medieval guildhall which is now in use as a school. It is situated off Chapel Lane, Stratford upon Avon.
1 The Guild Hall dates from 1417 and now forms part of the Grammar School premises. The ground floor, once the hall where the Guild met is currently used as a teaching area; upstairs, the roof trusses and other interior timbers are exposed, although it is clear that originally this area was divided into rooms.
2 Tree ring analysis indicated that the majority of dated timbers of the Guildhall complex were cut in a single programme of felling, and this felling was estimated to have occurred in AD 1410-35. Analysis of a timber from an inserted ceeiling was shown to be of a later date, probably not having been felled before AD 1447.
3Guildhall: Medieval wall paintings showing the seal of the Guild of the Holy Cross flanked by the Virgin Mary and St John the Baptist.