Medieval buildings at 'Bards Walk', Wood Street Excavation
Evidence for the Medieval town, including the remains of houses, was found during an archaeological excavation. The discoveries were made in Wood Street, Stratford upon Avon.
1 A ‘New Town’, planned by Bishop John of Worcester in 1196. Land was divided into plots of three 1/2 x 12 perches, the divisions of these plots still mark the boundaries of many modern properties. Around 1400 a house was built with its rear wall running E-W.
2 Excavation in 1989 uncovered traces of a Medieval important house (or group of houses) and pits on Wood Street. Evidence suggested the Medieval frontage on the north side of Wood Street was to the north of its modern line. A group of pits were found in a backyard area, the pottery within them dated from c. 1300 onwards.
1 /Excav Interim /WMFA /1990 / / / /WMBFI 7031 /Y /
2 /Excav Report /WMFA /1991 / / / /WMBFI 7031 /Y /