Little Lawford Mill
Little Lawford Mill, a watermill that dates back to the Medieval period according to documentary evidence. It continued in use until the Imperial period. The mill is situated to the south of Little Lawford.
1 Recorded in 1086. Held by the monks of Pipewell Abbey in the twelfth century. Recorded again in 1485 and 1515. Details of ownership exist for the 19th century and 20th century. Milling ceased a few years after 1921. The three storey mill building is of brick and adjoins the mill house. The internal waterwheel was removed in the 1940s. The rest of the machinery is intact. In recent years a small tractor-driven roller mill has been installed.
2 The stones that remain are of three different grades of milling, and one of the stones still has its wooden cover. The sack hoist remains partially intact, with a slipping belt clutch controlled by a long, levered arm. The woodwork within the mill seems largely original, and the few obviously recent repairs seem to have made the roof safe. The mill is used for storing animal feed and there is a small amount of machinery installed to grind same.