Deserted Medieval Village East of Little Lawford
The site of a Medieval deserted settlement which survives as an earthwork. The site is surrounded by ridge and furrow cultivation. It is located to the east of Little Lawford.
1 Mentioned in Beresford and Hurst’s gazetteer.
2 A site visit showed that this field, on either side of the stream, has small scale earthworks in it, and is surrounded by ridge and furrow. There were no obvious house platforms, but the earthworks appeared to be distinctly man-made. The OS place the site of the original Little Lawford Hall in this field, but that is contentious. Two glass bottles were found in this field, but they may be associated with the hall; they were of early 18th century date.
3 Aerial photograph.
4 Domesday lists Little Lawford in Brinklow Hundred. The Phillimore ed. Has a grid ref. Of 4677.
Ref 17,47 Leofeva holds 2 hides in (Little) Lawford. Land for 1 1/2 ploughs. 6 villagers with a plough and 1 slave. A mill at 4s; meadow 1 1/2 acres. The value was 20s; now 10s 8d. Alwin held it freely before 1066.