Friends' Meeting House, Atherstone, North Warwickshire
The site of a former Society of Friends' Quaker Meeting House of Post Medieval date which was situated on Long Street, Atherstone.
1 Friends’ Meeting House. Built by Nathaniel Newton the younger c1729. Extended in the early 19th century, closed in 1846 and has since been used as a workshop. Brick with a tiled roof.
2 Photograph in the above reference.
3 Prior to conversion from a workshop to residential use, a building survey took place. This showed that much of the original fabric of the original chapel survives despite the use as a workshop. The original building appears to have been a singel story open plan hall, various alteration have taken place over time inluding inserting a first floor boarding up windows, adding windows and doors, partitioning the hall into three rooms and adding a brock fireplace. The building servey report also reports that the development site had been left in trust in 1724 for the construction of a Quaker Chapel.