Elephant Close, Rowington
A house dating from the Post Medieval period which was once an Inn known as the 'Elephant and Castle'. There was a timber framed barn also dating from the Post Medieval period, but this collapsed around the year 1914. It is situated 500m north west of Rowington church.
1 Probably an early Tudor house. It has a large external chimney at the rear, now rendered, and a wide open hearth. The house was previously an Inn. An old photograph shows that the upper storey was jettied. There was a good timbered barn to the south of the house, lying length way onto the road. It collapsed in a dilapidated condition around 1914. The earliest documentated history for this property is 1785. It is marked as building No. 45 on the 1550 – 1650 map in this book.
2 The property is marked on the First Edition 6″ Ordnance Survey map as the ‘Elephant and Castle Public House’.