Washford Mill, Studley
The site of Washford Mill, a watermill. There is documentary evidence for mills in Studley from the Medieval period onwards. The mill buildings and the mill house have now been converted to a hotel, with the waterwheel restored. It is located 100m west of Icknield Street Drive.
1 A mill is recorded in 1086 and there were two mills in the 12th century and 14th century. The site of at least one of these mills was that of the Hurst Mill referred to in 1708, on the Arrow above Washford Bridge, where the millrace is still to be seen. Further documentary information exists.
2 Difficulty experienced correlating field and documentary evidence for the mill sites at Studley. Hurst Mill need not correlate with the existing Washford Mill. Associated with a major fishpond complex which has been converted to provide water power.
3 Early documentary information and information on ownership for 18th, 19th and 20th century. The mill closed in the early 1930’s. After ceasing operation, all the machinery was removed and the building converted to provide extra accommodation for the adjoining mill house. In 1973 it was planned to convert the building into a hotel. This has been effected, and the waterwheel restored to working order. The mill buildings, which date mainly from the C18, are of brick. The adjoining mill house is a fine half-timbered structure built in the mid 17th century. A new wing has been added in a recent conversion. Of the machinery, only the water-wheel and a driving pulley remain. The wheel is low breast-shot, measuring approx 4.9m diameter by 1.57m wide.
4 Believed to have been built c1664, the mill was converted to needle scouring c1730 and worked in this way for around 200 years.
7 Location plan of the mill.