Church of St Andrew, Rugby
The Church of St Andrew was built in the Medieval period. It was later largely rebuilt during the Imperial period. It is located onChurch Street, Rugby.
1 Chancel, N and S transepts, nave, two N aisles, S aisle, N and S porches; tower at W end of inner N aisle, and another tower, with spire, adjoining the N transept. Rebuilt in its present form by Butterfield in 1877-9 and the NE tower was added in 1896. The inner N aisle occupies the site of the old nave; four bays of the former N arcade are said to be incorporated in the arcade dividing the N aisles, but this can mean no more than re-use of some old material. W tower of very severe appearance and difficult to date from its architectural features, but it would seem to be 14th century. Organ of 1664, enlarged and restored in 19th century. Remains of a Medieval font. The church was originally a chapelry of Clifton-upon-Dunsmore, and is first recorded in the 12th century.
2 A view of the old church in the Aylesford Collection (c1820) shows the existing W tower, a short chancel, nave with S clearstorey, and apparently two S aisles. All the windows, except that in the tower, had lost their tracery and other Medieval features.
3 1877-85 by Butterfield. To the existing 14th century and 15th century church he added a new nave to the S and made the old N aisle his outer N aisle. He also added the steeple to the E of the old aisle in 1895-6. The style is late 13th century to early 14th century, with an alternation of red and cream stone and some grey marble for shafts.