Possible Chapel at Lower Skilts, Studley
The site of a possible chapel dating from the Post Medieval period to the Imperial period. It is situated 700m north east of Cracknut Hill.
1 The Ward collection made c 1815 claims that the central gatehouse ‘used to be the chapel’ and shows a drawing drastically different from the building standing today. Either the drawing is entirely fictional or the building has been completely rebuilt for it shows a much taller building, with a pointed arch above the door, quoined angles and the sun-dial in line with the first floor windows. In the present building the windows are wooden, the door square headed and the building is of ancient brick without stone corner quoins.