Walton Deyville Deserted Medieval Settlement
The site of the deserted settlement of Walton Deyville which dates to the Medieval period. Earthworks survive showing house platforms, the main village street and hollow ways. The village is also known from documentary evidence. It was located 900m south of Walton.
1 Marked as ‘The Town’ on map of 1728. Wolsey’s enquiry of 1517 was told that the whole village was destroyed in 1509.
3 Archaeological evidence medium (B), excellent documentary evidence (1*).
4 Fields to S of Walton Hall are called ‘Town Fields’ on the Tithe Award Map and records of ‘Roman’ finds exist.
5 The site was surveyed in 1984. Contrary to general belief the whole of the village site had not been extensively damaged during World War II; indeed the N part remained relatively well preserved, although the E section had been levelled at some stage. Several possible house sites could be identified and the village street could discerned running between platforms. There are signs that it continued SE to form a hollow way which probably ran to ford the stream. There are further platforms N of this road which may represent an extension to the village. Recent damage was caused by the construction of a bund to contain slurry from adjacent fishponds. This entirely removed evidence of furrows running down to the river on the NW of the site and it is uncertain whether these were croft boundaries or plough furrows. Quantities of Medieval pottery and glazed floor tiles were found in the bund. The documentary evidence suggests that Walton Deyville was a large village, although shrinkage began at an early date. In 1279 there were 33 cottages, but by 1327 only twelve taxpayers. In 1509 thirteen cottages were ‘allowed to fall into ruin’ and 40 people ‘withdrew’.
7 Finds brought in included four possible Roman sherds (PRN 1120), c100 Medieval sherds and about fifteen pieces of tile.
9 Description as for source 5.
10 Correspondence about the DMV before the conversion of the Hall.