Deserted Settlement 100m NW of Church
The site of a deserted settlement dating to the Imperial period. It is located 100m north west of the church, Morton Bagot.
1 Church Green was an area of common land and remained unenclosed until 1807. In 1807 two small houses stood in the small field to the NW of the church. They were simple ‘one room up, one room down’ buildings of brick and of relatively modern construction. Part of one of them remains, having been used as a pigsty in recent years. Beside the Studley Road, on the margin of a marshy hollow, stood the school in 1874. This was probably disused by 1888. Additional buildings stood NE of Church Green. An estate map of 1820 shows three buildings here, of which one appears to be a house.
2 An estate map of 1820 shows three buildings here, of which one appears to be a house.
3 The polygon was edited to incorporate earthworks recorded in 2. This includes possible buildings sites to the east and linear earthworks to the south.