Tredington Medieval Settlement
Probable extent of Medieval settlement in Tredington as indicated on the Ordnance Survey map of 1886, fieldwork, and from aerial photographs showing ridge and furrow earthworks.
1 The possible extent of Medieval settlement, based on the first edition 6″ map of 1886, 53NE.
2 The ridge and furrow plotting of the parish.
3 Domesday lists Tredington under Worcestershire. The Phillimore edition has a grid reference of 25,43.
Ref EW 1 St Mary’s Church Worcester has a Hundred called Oswaldslow. In the same Hundred the Bishop also holds Tredington with one member, Tidmington. 23 hides paying tax; one of these is waste. In lordship 5 ploughs; 42 villagers, 30 smallholders; a priest who has 1 hide; 1 rider; between them they have 29 ploughs. 10 slaves; 3 mills at 32s 6d; meadow, 36 acres. The value was £10; now £12 10s.
This Domesday entry suggests that Tidmington is the minor settlement. The details indicate a large and valuable village
which is , presumably, Tredingon and not Tidmington. See the VCH for discussion on this.
4 The first edition map shows a compact village contained within the bend of the River Stour, with mills to north and south. There are orchards in small fields which may be shrunken settlement. As Domesday indicates such a populous and valuable village it seems likely that there may be deserted areas, but this 1886 map gives no clues, nor does the ridge and furrow plotting, which shows survival abutting the village to the west, but no earthworks. The church [WA2748] dates from 800 AD.
5 Archaeological observation at Tredington House, Tredington recorded a large ditch sealed by a medieval ground surface containing 12th/13th century pottery. Tredington House incorporates part of a late 15th century rectory, which was largely demolished in the 1840s.