Site of 'Smallpox Hospital', Lawford Heath Lane
The site of a smallpox hospital that was built during the Imperial period. The hospital building no longer exists but it is marked on the Ordnance Survey map of 1886. It was situated on Lawford Heath Lane.
1 A hospital for infectious diseases was built some time between 1886 and 1913. This site was chosen presumably for its isolation.
2 Nothing now remains of the building which has been replaced by a large bungalow, the only indication is a mature avenue of lime trees lining the drive.
3 The site is marked as smallpox hospital on certain OS maps.