Site of Medieval Chapel at Newton
The site of a Medieval chapel is suggested by documentary evidence. The exact location of the chapel is not known but it was situated somewhere in the area of Newton.
1 A chapel at Newton is recorded in 1535; its site is mentioned in 1616. The rectory or tithes of this were valued in 1535 to 7.6s.8d. The tithes were granted to Thomas Farneham in 1553 and in 1616 the site of the chapel was leased for 21 years to Ralph Smythe.
2 The exact location of the chapel is not known. Finds of sandstone ashlars unearthed after the demolition of a cottage at Newton. This may be part of the chapel. Excavation was not possible, but a photographic record of the stone was made by Rugby Archaeological Society.
3 A chapel existed here in William the Conquerer’s time.