Chapel of St Edmund, Hurley
The site of the Medieval chapel of St. Edmund, the remains of which now lie under the school playground in Hurley.
1 In a chapel dedicated to St Edmund the chantry of Kimberley was founded, possibly by John Bracebridge, who presented a chantry priest in 1311. Between 1476 and 1479 the chantry was transferred to the chapel of Hurley and was subsequently known as the chantry of Hurley. In 1549 the dissolved chantry was sold.
2 The site was excavated and the remains of an 18th century or 19th century building (PRN 22) were found , but no sign of the Medieval chapel was found.
3 The site now lies under a school playground.
4 Tithe map of 1851 shows the field in which this chapel was reputed to have stood was called ‘Chapel Yard’.