Site of Medieval Church at Binton
Documentary evidence suggests that there was a Medieval church at Binton which was replaced by a later church in 1875. The Medieval church was situated on Church Bank.
1 A sketch of the former building, which seems to have had a chancel, nave, S porch, and W tower, suggests that the windows, etc were of the 17th century, but possibly the tower was ancient. Several old fittings survive in the rebuilt church: the font, scraped but probably of the 15th century with a cover of c1640, a Medieval ‘dug-out’ chest, three coffin lids of the early 14th century, a fragment of Medieval glass, and a bell of 1669. The church is mentioned in 1199.
2 Drawing of c1820.