Site of a Medieval Chapel at Copston Magna
The site of a Medieval chapel which continued in use throughout the Post Medieval period. It is known from documentary evidence and was situated at Copston Magna.
1 The chapel at Great Copston is probably the oratory of the Prior of Monks Kirby referred to in 1373. It was apparently still functioning in 1730. Although described in 1769 as a ‘destroyed church’, its fabric seems to have stood until the new church (PRN 5468) was built in 1849, probably on the site of the old, but incorporating nothing from it.
2 A view in the Aylesford Collection (c1820) shows a building with chancel, nave and S porch.