Medieval settlement at Copston Magna
The Medieval village of Copston Magna was a small, planned settlement close to the Danelaw boundary. The layout of the settlement is still partially visible as an earthwork.
1 At Copston Magna an ovoid outer boundary contains fairly regular plots, including the church, which front onto a main street. The plan of Copston Magna seems to be much denuded of its regularity but former plot boundaries remain as earthworks on the east side of the street. Copston, along with Wibtoft are located on the wolds, close to the Danelaw boundary. They are small but planned settlements which have place-name elements suggesting Scandinavian influences. Copston Magna was possibly carved out of land that was formally part of Wolvey.
2 The extent of the Medieval settlement can be seen on the OS 1st edition map of 1886.
3 Ridge and furrow plotting of the parish.