Church of St Mary, Kinwarton
The Parish Church of St Mary which was originally built during the Medieval period. It was restored during the Imperial period. The church is situated north of Glebe Farm, Kinwarton.
2 Chancel and nave with no structural division between them; modern S porch. About 17.4m long by 4.4m wide. Consecrated in 1316, when it had probably been largely rebuilt, but some of the walling, especially at the E angles, appears to be of much earlier origin. In modern times the upper part of the E wall has been rebuilt, new windows inserted, and the W end lengthened about 1.5m, or rebuilt. Nave roof is probably C14; chancel roof is modern. A church is recorded here in the C12 and C13.
3 Plan of the church.
4 Photograph of 14th century glass in the chancel.
5 The church is small, of nave and chancel, with a weatherboarded bell-turret which stands inside on excellent sturdy posts with bracing; this is called C16 to C17. In the nave two Early English lancets, in the chancel Decorated windows, one with the sedilia cutting into it. In the chancel S window early C14 stained glass.
6 Restored 1850.
8 A watching brief was carried out in 1996 during the installation of a safe. A trench excavated beneath the altar came upon a large inscribed and decorated slate slab 22cm below the existing floor surface. The significance of this was uncertain, and it was left in situ.
9 In May 1996, observation of building work in the NW corner of the nave recorded a brick lined vault below the tiled floor of the nave.