The site of a Post Medieval deer park where deer were kept for hunting. It was attached to Shuckburgh Hall. The deer park is marked on several maps, the earliest dating to 1822. Recommended for inclusion on Register by Lovie.
1 A park existed in 1600. It contained about 120 acres and there was a herd of 200 deer.
2 The park still contains deer and is empaled by a high fence. No remains of an earthen bank were seen.
3 Land is now agricultural. Thorough site investigation not undertaken. It is essential to ring Sir C Shuckburgh before making a visit.
4 Deer park existed c1600 around early 16th century house. Gardens/ park remodelled in late 18th century, with further alterations c1860, esp to pleasure grounds west of house. Rock garden c1850 inspired by fortifications seen in the Crimean War. Other features include octagonal pond, conservatory, kitchen garden, lodge, drive. Recommended for addition to Parks and Gardens Register.
5 The estate has been in the same family since the 13th century, and the grounds reflect that continuity. The present house is of late 15th or early 16th century origin, though several times altered, and there is evidence to suggest that the neighbouring village was shifted as early as 1518. However, the park, though possibly recorded c1600, is not marked on Speed’s map of 1610. But it was certainly in use in the 1640s and is marked as a ‘new park’ on Beighton’s map of 1725. A plan of the park from 1706 exists and its development has been the subject of recent research. An illustration of c1800 [reproduced in source] appears to contain features, such as two obelisks and the octagonal pond, which are characteristic of late 17th/ early 18th century formal landscapes. However, alterations to the park had already been carried out by Sir George Shuckburgh in the 1770s, possibly to reduce the formality of the house’s setting. In the 19th century pleasure grounds were developed west of the house; as well as a rock garden inspired by fortifications observed during the Crimean War, there is considerable specimen planting dating to the 1850s and 1860s. In the later part of the 20th century a woodland garden has been developed south west of the house.
6 – 7 The OS 1:10560 1886/1884 Shts Warks 41NW/NE show features including the pond and extensive woodland.
8 – 9 The OS 1:10560 1926/27 Shts Warks 41NW/NE show the parkland at that date shaded.
10 Shown on Greenwood’s map of 1822.