The site of Alscot Park. The deer park dates back to the Medieval period and was remodelled in the 18th-19th centuries to become a landscape park. It was situated 500m east of Preston on Stour.
1 Alscot Park was apparently established NE of the Stour in 1401, when the lord of Alscot was granted free warren. The park was infringed in 1593 and was possibly enlarged in 1617. It was further enlarged in 1686, when it took in land to the SW of the river and in the period 1747-42. In the early 18th century it was described in Atkyns Gloucestershire as delightful. In 1747 it was described as small but well-planted. As enlarged the park covers 83 ha and is separated from the road on the NE and SE sides by a long wall. Part of it was under plough in 1964.
2 Original SMR card. The park is still extant and the wall separating it from the road is intact.
3 Alscot Park is Listed as Grade II in EH Register of Parks and Gardens of special historic interest, as an 18th century and later park (see SMR WA8430). It is noted that the Post Medieval house incorporates remains of a late Medieval building to the rear. The park is crossed by the river Stour, flowing northwards.
4 Most owners seem to have been non-resident until the 16th century, but there was an existing house which was remodelled in the 18th century. The park was in Gloucestershire until 1931.
6 Illustrative map for 5.